In this course, you will learn to author online learning materials using WikiEducator. If you don’t already have a WikiEducator account, please proceed to the instructions below to request an account.
To minimise the risks of spam accounts on WikiEducator, there is an account approval process. Depending on your time-zone location, it may take up to 12 hours for your account to be approved from New Zealand. We recommend that you request an account now, and while you are waiting for the approval you can work through the following pages:
Once your account is approved and you have confirmed your email address and set a new password, you can proceed to complete the Basic wiki skills challenge.
Instructions to request a new wiki account
- Visit the site here: https://wikieducator.org and request an account by clicking on the “Request account” link in the top right-hand corner of your screen.
- Fill out a username and provide your preferred email address. If the username is already in use, you will be advised to choose a different name.
- Provide your real name in the relevant text box and a short description of who you are (must be at least 10 words).
- Important: You must provide information about why you are requesting an account in the “Other information” text area, for example: I want to participate in the EDT4OL / Empowered Digital Teacher for Online Learning course. If you do not provide this information, the account will not likely be approved.
- Answer the spam question. For example, name of the website (answer: wikieducator), acronym for Open Educational Resources (answer: oer)
- If you entered your email address correctly, you will receive an email with a link to confirm your email address. (Check your spam folder if this does not arrive).
- Once your account has been approved (may take up to 12 hours) you will receive an email with the subject line “WikiEducator account request” that contains your username and a temporary password.
- Click on the link contained in the email to log in to WikiEducator with your temporary password.
- Proceed to change your password. This is required after you first log in to the site.
- You should now have a WikiEducator account with a new password.