This section provides information about the Pacific Partnership for Open, Distance and Flexible Learning, and the Communication Skills for Open, Distance and Flexible Learning (CS4ODFL) online course.
About the Pacific Partnership for Open, Distance and Flexible Learning
Partnership for Open, Distance and Flexible Learning (ODFL) in the Pacific is a 5-year project (2020 – 2025) funded by the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Trade to support enhancing capacity and efficiency of education sectors in the Pacific through greater use of innovative delivery mechanisms and technology.
|3 – 5 hours per week
|Six digital badges
|Certificate of Completion
What will I learn?
In this short online course you will:
- Develop an understanding of the role of inclusive and equitable communication practices, teaching presence, and course netiquette for successful open, distance and flexible learning (ODFL) delivery.
- Learn about the uses of technology and media for efficient and accessible communication in an ODFL environment.
- Review and discuss key pedagogical considerations when designing course structure, learning activities, feedback and communication strategies.
- Recognise the attributes of an effective online facilitator.
- Gain hands-on experience in weaving online discussions and interactions, including strategies for conflict-management in the ODFL space.
Participants who successfully achieve the six digital badges summarised below for the CS4ODFL course will receive a PDF Certificate of Completion.
|Prepare a netiquette guideline for your online course.
|Create a mind map of the ODFL communication tools suitable for your context to communicate with your students.
|Design a course communication plan to guide and create opportunities to have more meaningful and engaging conversations with your students.
|Weaving Online Discussion
|Review and weave sample discussion forum posts.
|Complete and pass an online ‘knowledge test’ quiz on core concepts covered during the CS4ODFL course.
|This is a cumulative badge awarded to CS4ODFL participants who have achieved the five preceding badges. Holders of the ODFL Badge will be awarded a Certificate of Completion for the course.
Any teacher is free and welcome to participate in this course. The course will be conducted in English. We recommend that you have:
- Access to a personal computer for 3 – 5 hours per week.
- Basic computer skills (saving files in different formats, setting up and deleting folders, starting programs, etc.).
- Access to the internet for 3 – 5 hours per week while working online on the course.
- Basic skills in navigating websites using a browser.