Improve digital skills using Free and Open Source Software to develop teaching materials for your classroom and share these as Open Educational Resources (OER).
|Workload:||3 – 5 hours per week|
|Badges:||Six digital badges|
|Certification:||Certificate of Completion|
|Course materials:||Preview online|
What will I learn?
In this short online course you will:
- Discuss and reflect on why open matters in education with Pacific teachers
- Review what constitutes an Open Educational Resource (OER)
- Apply knowledge of the six Creative Commons open licenses including legal remix compatibility for derivative works and requirements for attribution.
- Search for openly licensed images and audio for reuse.
- Gain hands-on experience in using Free and Open Source Software packages to remix content, images and produce audio graphics for use in your classroom.
This is a hands-on, activity-based course in which you will complete:
- Enabling activities covering: what constitutes an OER, Creative Commons licensing, attribution, and remix compatibility.
- Four digital skills learning challenges to develop teaching resources for use in the classroom:
- Open image challenge
- Vector chart or diagram remix challenge
- Static audio graphic remix challenge
- Lesson plan challenge
Participants who successfully achieve the six digital badges summarised below for the DS4OERS course will receive a PDF Certificate of Completion.
|OER Image||Develop a printable teaching resource in PDF format in a curriculum area of your choice to be used in a classroom incorporating openly licensed images you have found on the internet. Share it online as an OER under an open content licence.|
|OER Diagram Remix||Develop a chart, diagram, or graphic organiser in a curriculum area of your choice, that you can use as a single page printable resource in a classroom. Include SVG graphics you have sourced on the internet and Share it online as an OER under an open content licence..|
|OER Audiographic||Make a static image audiographic (in a subject area of your choice), to use in a lesson. Share it online as an OER under an open content licence.|
|OER Lesson Plan||Prepare a lesson plan in a subject area of your choice, including three teaching resources, and different activities and assessments for different parts of your lesson. Share it online under an open content licence.|
|DS4OERS Participant||Complete and pass an online quiz on core concepts covered during the DS4OERS course.|
|OER Practitioner||This is an cumulative badge awarded to DS4OER participants who have achieved the five preceding badges. Holders of the DS4OERS Practitioner Badge will be awarded a Certificate of Completion for the course.|
Any teacher is free and welcome to participate in this course. The course will be conducted in English. We recommend that you have:
- Access to a personal computer for 3 – 5 hours per week
- Basic computer skills (saving files in different formats, setting up and deleting folders, starting programs, etc.)
- Access to the internet for 3 – 5 hours per week while working online on the course.
- Basic skills in navigating websites using a browser
- Ability to install, or have access to a colleague or friend to help you install Free and Open Source Software programs (we will provide links to free downloads of the software).